Thursday, March 1, 2012

Perception

Lately there has been so much arguing and fighting on these blogs and facebook pages, I am guilty of participating, we all feel so strongly about this case and all have our suspicions on what happened based on the evidence and what has been reported by law enforcement. The majority of the people following this case have come to relatively the same conclusion as to what really happened to Ayla Reynolds. The minority are those that are friends and family with the DiPietros and have all resigned to believe him, regardless of where the evidence points, out of loyalty but there are others as well that have no ties to this case and strongly believe that they are correct in their interpretation of the evidence and police reports. Many of us get frustrated trying to get our points across, to get these people to see what we see but the attempts are all fruitless and we are left shaking our heads, wondering how we can both be looking at the same thing but see it so differently?



Some of you will look at this picture and swear that it is a vase or candlestick holder, others will swear that it is a picture of two faces facing each other. Who is right? Who is wrong? Both are correct. Who is to say that even though we as the majority believe Justin is guilty that we are correct in our perception of the case, who is to say that the ones seeing it through different eyes, who think that it is possible he is innocent are wrong?

Perception is our sensory experience of the world around us and involves both the recognition of environmental stimuli and action in response to these stimuli. Through the perceptual process, we gain information about properties and elements of the environment that are critical to our survival.
A number of factors operate to shape and sometimes distort perception These factors can reside:
i) In the perceiver
ii) In the Object or target being perceived or
iii) In the context of the situation in which the perception is made.

We look at situations, events, and interpret what other people say and do, according to our own set of past experiences, culture, faith, values, all of which help us form our beliefs about ourselves, about others, and about the world in general.  The meaning we give events, the way we make sense of our world, is based upon our set of core beliefs. 

Our minds are constantly trying to make sense of our world, forming judgements and opinions about every situation, event, interaction.  Those judgements and opinions will be affected by our central or core belief system.  It is as though we are looking at the world through distorted or colored lenses – and everyone has their own personal prescription or color for their glasses.

Core belief system comprises:
  • How I think about myself
  • How I think about others
  • How I think about the world
Our core belief system is formed and influenced by:
  • Past experiences
  • Childhood upbringing
  • Culture
  • Faith
  • Values
  • Current circumstances
  • Character traits, including genetic influences
For example: Someone who has been wrongly judged or accused of something in the past may feel the need to start a website or blog to defend someone who is being deemed by the public as guilty.

Someone who has been mentally abused may not be able to take a compliment because they have been conditioned to think they are unworthy of praise, so they in turn will think the person complimenting them is lying or being sarcastic.

Today there was an article released by Trista's father, Ron Reynolds.

 Reynolds says this case has yielded few answers, but plenty of rumors, saying state police questioned his daughter Trista this week after someone allegedly called them to report Trista and Ayla had been seen together after the toddler was reported missing. Reynolds says that was never the case.

I inferred from this that it is all rumor. That the police never questioned Trista. That "alleged" someone was not real and no report was ever made. Many of you had a different perception. We all read the same report, no other media outlet has had a story on this. Perception.

I may not agree with the opinions or motives of other blogs or facebook pages but I have to agree that the fighting has gotten out of control and we have all lost focus. We want Justice for Ayla and in that quest for justice we have crossed the line. I did not like it when people felt the need to "out" me, I knew going into this that I would be a target and that was a chance I was going to have to take. I did not realize that my family, who has nothing to do with this blog, and most have never even read it would be exploited and exposed as well. I am just as guilty of trying to expose the JSTL blogger because I did not agree with what they said, they crossed the line, they personally attacked me, I can come up with excuse after excuse as to why but it still doesn't make it right. If I don't agree with what they have to say and if I don't like how they are saying it, I just won't read their blog. I am not going to feed into it and lose focus. I am not going to disgrace Ayla's name anymore. This behavior is not something her family should have to worry about being associated with her name. I cannot make anyone do anything they don't want to do and I know many of you feel very strongly that you want the blog to be shut down, the quickest way to shut it down, is to stop feeding it.

In closing, I have been accused of thinking I am an authority of "all things Ayla" or that I have tried to pass my theories and speculations off as fact. I have not. I do not know what happened to Ayla other than how I perceive the evidence that has been put in front of me. Just because I think that Justin is guilty certainly does not make it fact especially because I decided to write a blog about the case. I would hope that anyone who reads this blog is capable of making that distinction. Justin has his constitutional right to be deemed innocent until he is proven guilty by a court of law, his constitutional right has not been violated because I think he is guilty. I am not his judge, nor would I ever be on his jury. I would have to disclose my bias. I have a constitutional right to free speech. If you do not like what I have to say and do not agree with my opinion, please click here to start your own blog.


24 comments:

  1. Great post, and perfect example on perception. You go, J4A!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually, the sighting of Ayla is not a "rumor". An actual witness has come forward claiming to have seen Trista with Ayla after the date that Ayla was reported missing. The witness claims to know Trista. The Maine State Police found the claim credible enough to interview Trista about it earlier this week. Trista's father asserted that Trista denies that the information is true. All we can do is wait to see if it all pans out, and everyone keep your eyes open.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How do you know this and how can we check this out for ourselves? You don't post any place where you referenced this.

      Delete
    2. I guess you will just have to wait and see like everyone else. But they saw her were she was staying at the motel. Why would she be carrying a baby in a PINK jacket? If it was her son wouldn't he be in a different color????? And it obviously wasn't her sisters kids since she doesn't have costudy of them anymore either. I don't know why anyone has an issue with Justin wanting to take care of Ayla instead of Jessica, when she couldn't even take care of her own kids.And YOU don't need to check this info out for yourself, that is what the police are doing.

      Delete
    3. So you can't say it is not a rumor then. Very thin evidence a baby in a pink blanket that doesn't mean it was Ayla. So I guess it is more smoke and mirrors. I thought you had first hand information not rumors.

      Delete
  3. Justice you make a great point, unfortunatley I'm one of the a-holes who could care less about the warped view points of some cracked out Dip defender.

    You're doing more keeping the word out for this little girl Ayla than any of her paternal family has done and for that I thank you.

    shannie and boo...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are awesome J4A and you too Shannie!

      Peace <3

      Delete
  4. you're absolutely right! i come from a big family and my perception of things that happened in my family will differ from one of my siblings. I have always said it is how it is perceived by the individual.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Would someone take a glance at these 2 pictures and give their opinion if these 2 are the same person.

    This pic. of the guy in the black tee shirt with a group of Lance's friends at this link http://www.myspace.com/ODanja/photos/8532242#{%22ImageId%22%3A8532242}

    Next picture is of Jeremy Hanson, the window smasher, at this link
    http://www.wmur.com/r/30456917/detail.html

    Side by side there is a resemblance, is there not?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I see the resemblance alright. Very interesting.

      Delete
  6. Yes, there is definitely a resemblance! Good eye and catch.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The stopthelies blogger is a PROFESSOR! she should be reported to the university she works for, should I do it or just leave it alone?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anonymous 10:15
      Absolutely, the twisted blogger should be reported to the university and exposed. I am not going to forget what that blogger did to Ayla. Just because she/he is now acting like she/he cares, does not mean it's true. That blogger went over the line. It was a game, and I think she/he is still playing games. I don't trust she/he and I can't forget about poor sweet Ayla and the ugliness on that blog.

      Delete
    2. The thought that our college students are being taught by someone as heartless and lacking of compassion as the Lies blogger makes me sick. Making a game out of a missing baby is sick! It's not right and it's not fair to the students.

      Delete
  8. I would personally just leave it alone. Regardless of what they write on their blog and whether or not we agree with it, that is their livelihood and how they support their family. It is best to leave it alone, IMO. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh booooo...I know you're right though. That was my first mind, but I wanna stick it to him! Thanks for being fair, balanced, and here for AYLA!

      Delete
    2. That blogger was a disgrace to Ayla. Ayla is the victim and the blogger victimized her even further. Shameful and evil!

      Delete
  9. Feel free to email me the info, I am curious. He States on his blog if you correctly guess who he is he will allow the post to stay, think many are interested in who he is. JusticeforAyla@yahoo.com :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. J4A, you tell the poster it's best to leave it alone, but you want her to email you the info?

      Delete
  10. Of course we're interested in who it is. This person has exploited and insulted little Ayla. They need to be exposed!

    ReplyDelete